Thursday, January 13, 2011

To Make a Difference

I was shopping in town yesterday, keeping up with the hustle and bustle of the busy city of Arusha. So many people, so many needs, so little time. Every few blocks you can find a beggar on the sidewalk, frantically shaking their cup of coins hoping someone can make that small effort to change their life, if only for a moment.

I was walking past when I saw an elderly woman and a small baby with a sweetness that could melt the world. She called out to me "Baba" which means Father in Swahili. I responded, "Pole Mama" offering my condolences. However, when I reached the corner I stopped and could not go on. Hesitating for only a moment and already knowing what I was going to do I turned around and went back to sit beside her and the small child.

The baby girl was covered in a rash and the woman powdered her with a talcum medicine to stop the itch. I asked if she had a husband and she replied no. She told me that the baby was her granddaughter, and that the father had lost his mind and the mother left the baby with her before running away herself. I asked to hold the baby and cradled this sweet beautiful princess and looked deeply into her eyes. I felt her chest wheeze from a cough she had acquired on the street. The grandmother was homeless but they would stay in a small local village and travel to the city everyday to seek aid from the masses. After a few minutes, I smiled, handed the baby back to her and went on my way.

When I got home I told Liz about my encounter and my simple resolute reaction. That little girl deserves a shot in life. She deserves good medical care, a home and a good education. She deserves a small community that will come around her and love her and take care of her in this world and in this life. As I stood on the corner debating whether or not to even stop in the first place, the thought that crossed my mind was simple: this is why I'm here. We always think it's someone else's job to stop. We propose a government program or a social aid organization that can take care of those in need.

However, the Bible says in Deuteronomy 15:4, "There should be no poor among you." It is our responsibility because we have been given so much more than we can imagine. A sermon series by a pastor I listened to recently challenged his audience by starting each time having everyone say, "I have more than I need... I'm Rich." We may not think we have much, and we may not feel rich, but if we have leftovers at the dinner table, or some extra spending money for the weekend we have a responsibility; to make a difference. Make a difference and help us continue to make a difference. God Bless...

1 comment:

  1. I remember entering a large city in Moldova, I forgot the spelling of the cities name, but when we got there we parked the car next to a park,  many needy, homeless people saw that we were visitors and approached us asking for money. The translators told us to just ignore them, but I said, "why would we do that." I had already given all my money away so all I had left was myself... I told the girls, Naomi and another Naomi, let us sing to these poor people.. Let us tell them of Gods love... so we did.. They still asked for money and I said all I can do is pray that God will make a way where there seems to be no way.. I asked, can I pray for you, they said yes.. so I prayed to God for him to open their eyes to his blessings and that he would provide the food or shelter or whatever they needed and said amen!! Then  we went on our way.
    Sometimes we must leave things in God's hands.. a gentle smile, a kind word, a simple prayer.. and believe that God will do the rest... Each day brings new challenges that only God knows the outcome of... Lay your burdens at His feet and he will give you rest!!! Love you guy's!!! Be blessed today and always!!!!  Diane and Family:):):);)

    ReplyDelete