One of my favorite things about being here so far has been my walks to the grocery store or veggie stand near our house. Every walk is an adventure and a reminder that we are, in fact, in Africa. Here’s just a sampling of what happened on my walk the other day:
- Passed two Mamas selling roasted corn. They cook it over little homemade grills that they set up along the roadside. I have yet to try some.
- Saw a guy on a motorcycle “taxi” called a Boda Boda carrying a live chicken.
- Had at least 3 people yell “Mzungu!” (White Person) at me, followed by some series of Swahili that I couldn’t understand. To which I lovingly responded, “Mafrica!” (African). We have been told Mzungu is not disrespectful in any way, rather simply a statement of fact. Who knows…
- Witnessed a fight outside of a Dala Dala. I’m not sure if the driver almost hit a pedestrian or what, but the man standing outside the van was very upset to say the least. He was attempting to punch the driver through the window. I just walked on by.
- Talked briefly to two young boys coming home from school. One said, “Good morning!” to me, and the other was quick to point out to him “It’s not morning. It’s afternoon.” Then that one proceeded to converse with me in impeccable English about what he wants to be when he grows up. I am pretty sure he said a Pirate, but I can’t be positive. I am hoping maybe he meant Pilot. But hey, Pirate is a good job to, I guess.
- Was overtaken by a huge cloud of dust when a gigantic truck passed me on our road.
- Said hello to the guys making bricks at the end of our street. They have a huge vat in which they hand mix cement, dust, pebbles and water. Then they form the mixture into large blocks for building or into a variety of decorative pavers. It is quite interesting to watch.
- Noticed again that every sign for every bar or restaurant has the same picture of some woman drinking a Coke. It is hilarious. (Picture to come soon)
Fun post! Love hearing updates. We miss you!
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from you Liz!! Try the roasted maize! It is SOOOO good! :) My favorite snack in Africa! Can you bring some back for me when you come to the US?
ReplyDelete